Monday, February 19, 2007

Lion Dance - 舞狮

I ask mummy what is ‘Lion Dance’ 舞狮 for? As I can see it & hear the drum & gong beating almost everywhere during the Lunar New Year.

Mummy says it is performed as a ceremony to exorcise evil spirits and to summon luck and fortune and the lions express joy and happiness :)

There are two types of Lion Dance, the Northern (北獅) which are bright red & orange and it has a golden head with shaggy look. The Southern(南獅) which have more wide variety of colors; white, yellow, red & even black. They have a distinctive head with two big round eyes and a small horn at the centre of the head.
I’m very lucky & fortunate to see both the 南獅 & 北獅 and 舞龙 at the same time :)

I used to be very scared of 舞狮 & 舞龙 as I’m afraid of the ‘LOUD’ drum beat, and the ‘Lion’ look very unfriendly and scary :p But as times goes by, I kind of love it and even have two small ‘Lion’ at home; one puppet and one ‘Lion’ head which was passed down by Eugene gor gor :)




No comments:

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker